The Department of Home Science, Women’s Degree College Rayagada started its journey with a strong endeavor from the academic Session1990 with the opening of +2 & +3 year degree courses (Pass). The department was equipped with a laboratory in the year 2005.The laboratory was established and inaugurated by Dr D.S Pillai, Principal and Dr P.K. Meherda, Collector, Rayagada in the year 2005. Home Science honors was opened in the year 2015.The aim of the department was the creation of human capital in an educationally backward district of Odisha. The department. has been able to fight against illiteracy with the help of its dynamic, efficient and lovable teachers. A large number of faculties contributed their most productive hours to make the department lively and talent creating center.The Department of Home Science, Women’s Degree College Rayagada move with a strong vision to create students with capacity, skills and self reliance .
The following Faculty members of the department of Home Science have contributed their most productive skills rendering teaching and guiding the practical skills to the students of this College.
Vision and Mission of the Department:-
- To develop the Human Resource in the field of Nutrition and Dietetics , Food science , Extension Education ,Textiles and laundry Science , Child development , Family resource management and Community nutrition .
- To develop the department a Center of Excellence in the field of Home Science.
- The mission of the faculty is to enhance the standard of the SC/ST/OBC and Minority students. In general . The main focus is on empowerment of Woman and girl students of rural and urban households through learning of the house hold management skills like Family Resources Management , Child Care , low Cost Diet Preparation , Diet Planning and Flower Decoration, Vocational Skills and Interior Decoration .
- To strengthen the Skills and potentials of the students through Scientifics Principles , Knowledge and experience acquired for a happy life
- To enable them with entrepreneurial skills at various levels .
- To empower them with the knowledge to become self-independent and a disciplined citizen of the society .
Activities & Seminars
1 Two regular faculty members are on roll and one guest faculty
2 Department is well equipped with laboratory facilities .
1 Other course can be open up .
2 Students can pursue higher studies after studying Home Science honours and also engaged in different jobs of Food Industry and Health Sector.
1 Lack of availability of class room facility .
2 Lack of opportunities in Peripheral areas .
1 Students are from very poor back ground .
2 To create motivation is a great challenge for the department .